ARC services are restricted for use by people who have an active affiliation with the University of Michigan (UM). There are circumstances when people who do not have a formal affiliation need to access ARC and UM services. Some examples are:
- Students who graduate but need to finish work begun as students
- Post-doctoral fellows who leave but need to finish work begun during their tenure
- Incoming faculty and post-doctoral fellows who need to gain early access
- External collaborators who need to work on ARC services as part of a collaborative project
- Vendors who need access to debug their products
To address those needs, ITS provides sponsored accounts for these people. Full information about sponsorship and sponsored accounts can be found at the ITS web page, MCommunity Sponsorship. The information here should be considered supplemental.
ARC clusters are for academic research and instructional use, so sponsorships created to enable access to ARC clusters should be “Academic Affiliate” sponsorships.
People who need sponsorship to continue work begun here will already have a uniqname, and sponsorship administrators should make sure to use that and not create a new uniqname.
To avoid use of social security numbers, the following information about the person being sponsored will be used.
- First & Last Name
- Non-umich.edu Email
- Date of Birth
- Home Street Address
Please also note that if the sole purpose is sharing files with external collaborators, this may be possible using the Globus file sharing system. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.