What is Lighthouse?
Lighthouse is an ARC managed HPC cluster available via a subscription to researchers who provide their own hardware. Lighthouse provides the same functionality as the Flux Operating Environment (FOE). All computational work is scheduled via the Slurm resource manager and task scheduler. To decide what hardware is best for your research and request an allocation, please contact email@example.com.
Who can use Lighthouse?
Lighthouse is available for:
- Researchers who receive funds from external funding agencies for purchasing equipment.
- Researchers who have workflow and/or infrastructure needs that differ significantly from those that can be met by other ARC services (i.e., Great Lakes or Armis2).
Lighthouse is not suitable for HIPAA or other sensitive data.
What forms do I need to fill out?
- The Principal Investigator (PI) should email firstname.lastname@example.org to decide on hardware needs.
- The PI needs to request a Slurm account from email@example.com, specifying users that can access the account and payment details.
- Each user given access to the account must request a user login. Please refer to the Lighthouse User Guide for additional steps and usage information.
How much does Lighthouse cost?
Lighthouse owners have two types of charges:
- One-time purchase of compute hardware, which must be supportable by ARC.
- A monthly charge per node, regardless of type, which accounts for data center, rack, power, networking, and staff costs. There are two rates, one which includes costs for commercial software and another which only includes software without a charge (e.g., open-source software), Matlab, and the Intel compilers. For current prices, see the HPC rates page.
How do I view the usage on my account?
To view TRES (Trackable RESource) utilization by user or account, use the following commands (substitute your values for bolded parts):
Shows TRES usage by all users on account during date range:
sreport cluster UserUtilizationByAccount start=mm/dd/yy end=mm/dd/yy account=test --tres type
Shows TRES usage by specified user(s) on account during date range:
sreport cluster UserUtilizationByAccount start=mm/dd/yy end=mm/dd/yy users=un1,un2 account=test --tres type
Lists users alphabetically along with TRES usage and total during date range:
sreport cluster AccountUtilizationByUser start=mm/dd/yy end=mm/dd/yy tree account=test --tres type
Possible TRES types:
For more reporting options, see the Slurm sreport documentation.
What are the SSH pub keys for Lighthouse?
If you wish to pre-populate your SSH client configuration with the publicly available keys for Lighthouse, they are as follows:
lighthouse.arc-ts.umich.edu,lh-login?.arc-ts.umich.edu,lh-campus-login?.arc-ts.umich.edu,220.127.116.11,18.104.22.168,22.214.171.124 ecdsa-sha2-nistp256 AAAAE2VjZHNhLXNoYTItbmlzdHAyNTYAAAAIbmlzdHAyNTYAAABBBHWel/rAXqIJYxexVzMSlgy/fICWukn8DaOGMPpAomH1E5AhCjrH2zMMTJHtXYsRA+brm/sTbn21Zw+pgpgJSYA=
lighthouse.arc-ts.umich.edu,lh-login?.arc-ts.umich.edu,lh-campus-login?.arc-ts.umich.edu,126.96.36.199,188.8.131.52,184.108.40.206 ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAICwaAq9LI48vVO4qbt35Xfz1pi+RE1Krq1iIeJQqoFEw
lighthouse.arc-ts.umich.edu,lh-login?.arc-ts.umich.edu,lh-campus-login?.arc-ts.umich.edu,220.127.116.11,18.104.22.168,22.214.171.124 ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABIwAAAIEA16eDiBWF3SgPQXEeJsH8dsxO8x3o5KkdqWMg/lK57Kpwf4QGXJNvYy0jxSAuKTRim/ob6+nDRH8zIOwnl9tlyEw+8VN3WR8nqBqxX6Km2yzTOMO8Lh7fLuMTZHOdEz0uOn6tBP8LTMtHN9h/fANjKFVl8N+jsejMXrPf0w7jGjc=
On a Mac or Linux machine you’ll add the keys to your known_hosts file.
On a Mac this file is: /Users/<username>/.ssh/known_hosts
On Linux: /home/<username>/.ssh/known_hosts
The known_hosts file should have 644 (i.e. -rw-r--r--) permissions.
If you are using an SSH client that is not part of your operating system (e.g. Windows using PuTTY), please see the client documentation referring to host key verification.
A good start for PuTTY users can be found in the Putty FAQ (section A.2.9 “Is there an option to turn off the annoying host key prompts?)”
If you have questions, please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.