Globus is a robust, cloud-based, file transfer service designed to move many large files, ranging from 10s of GBs to 10s of TBs. ARC is a Globus Subscription Provider for the U-M community, which allows some U-M resources to serve as endpoints for file transfers.
The standard features of Globus include:
- Transfers faster than SCP/SFTP (usually by a factor of two)
- Automatic restarts or continuation when transfers are disrupted
- Background transfers so users need not remain logged in to a system
- Transfers of large files between your laptop/desktop and servers via Global Connect Personal
- Data publication and discovery capabilities.
U-M’s Globus Provider status adds the following features:
- Sharing of server directories/folders with non-UM collaborators who are also Globus users (for transfer/copy purposes, not shared use of server)
- Sharing of directories/folders from laptops/desktops via Globus Connect Personal clients and a Globus Plus account upgrade.
For more information, visit the Globus website.
Globus Connect Personal
Globus Connect Personal allows you to transfer files to and from personal desktop and laptop computers. Globus online allows for simple installation for Windows, Mac, and Linux computers.
- Follow the Globus instructions to download the Globus Connect Personal installers and set up an endpoint on your desktop or laptop.
- Additional features are available for University of Michigan associates. After following the Globus instructions on installing Globus Connect Personal, add University of Michigan as your Globus Plus Sponsor in your Globus Account Settings. Once your request is approved, Globus Plus will allow you to transfer files between Globus Connect Personal clients and create share links to your own Globus Connect Personal client.
Sharing a MiStorage/NFS Volume
To enable sharing of a volume on MiStorage, a request must be made to the ITS Service Center by calling 4-HELP (734-764-4357) or sending an email to email@example.com. The following information should be included:
- MiStorage volume name
- list of all users who need access via Globus
To add or remove users, email or call 4-HELP (734-764-4357) with:
- MiStorage volume name
- list of users to be added or removed.
The MiStorage/NFS Volume endpoint name is umich#its-storage and once you authenticate to that endpoint within the Globus Web interface you will see the Volume name directory listed.
Globus users at U-M can have their standard Globus account upgraded to a Globus Plus account via the web interface. Globus Plus account holders can share folders via Globus Connect Personal Clients. Globus Plus is not required to share folders from Globus Server endpoints.
Please be sure you have your @umich.edu set as your contact email address in your profile.
- Click on username menu top right
- Choose Globus Plus
- Choose get Globus Plus or if already a Plus member with another institution choose add another provider
- Find and click radio box for “University of Michigan” in the list. Advanced research computing will be notified of your request after clicking Continue