The Mathematics Working Group in the Department of Energy Office of Science Program on Advanced Scientific Computing Research recently issued a report titled “Applied Mathematics Research for Exascale Computing.” The working groups charter is to:
- Analyze potential gaps in current thinking about applied mathematics for the exascale;
- Identify new algorithmic approaches that address exascale challenges;
- Identify mathematics to address new scientific questions accessible at exascale, especially through integration across applied mathematics sub-disciplines;
- Identify a holistic, co-design approach for applied mathematics exascale research that more directly involves a dialogue with application scientists and computer scientists; and
- Submit a report of the findings to the DOE Office of Science.
The 80-page report and more information about the working group are available at https://collab.mcs.anl.gov/display/examath/