- This event has passed.
Office of Technology Transfer seeks fellows with experience in life sciences, biomedical engineering, software, and EECS — Application deadline April 7
April 7, 2014 @ 12:00 am
Tech Transfer Fellows assist OTT in the technical and commercial evaluation of new inventions at University of Michigan in a variety of fields. Typical projects include:
- Scientific, market, prior art and patent research and analysis
- Assessing commercial viability of new inventions
- Categorizing inventions into application specific or industry segments
- Technology marketing abstract composition
- Identifying potential licensees or investors
Eligibility and Qualifications
- You must be a current UM graduate student or post-doc. Appointment to the Fellows Program is concurrent with full time status as UM graduate student or post doc for the full duration of the Fellows Program.
- You must have permission from your thesis adviser to participate in the Fellows Program if you are a graduate student.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident or have CPT/OPT clearance with your visa to participate in the Program. You are responsible for facilitating any necessary CPT/OPT steps prior to the Program.
- You must be able to commit ten (10) hours per week to the Fellows Program.
- You are expected to stay in the Fellows Program for at least one (1) year.
Selection will be based on a combination of factors, primarily:
- Written and oral communication skills
- Scientific/technical background and academic performance
- Enthusiasm and willingness to take on new challenges
- Interest in technology transfer and/or prior experience (if any) in business or commercial environments
- Professionalism and adherence to deadlines
Expectations Fellows must attend a ½ day orientation and training session in person and commit to one year in the Program following their training. Fellows are required to have access to a networked computer, as work is done remotely, and access to databases and other resources will be provided. Fellows are expected to complete their assignments within one week of receiving them; hours vary but are limited to no more than ten hours per week. Fellows are required to sign a non-disclosure agreement with the University of Michigan and maintain absolute confidentiality. Pay is $15-17/hour depending on background and experience. Application Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume in pdf format via e-mail to Katherine Moynihan (email@example.com) by 8am on Monday, April 7, 2014. Applicants will be notified by e-mail if they are invited to submit writing samples and interview. OTT is especially focused on hiring Fellows with expertise in the life sciences, biomedical engineering, software and EECS.